Tuesday, October 23, 2007

HW 23: Feminism 101

With Apologies to Virginia Woolf,
I went to the site Jezebel to look for intriguing articles about women; I came across an article that caught my eye. The article was titled Feminism 101. Immediately I was interested to see what the article had to say about women. This article in fact had to do with women in writing; it was short but non-the less interesting. It so briefly stated that Doris Lessing was the eleventh woman to win the Nobel Prize for Literature with her book, The Golden Notebook. This is quite a fascinating piece of information to find, that a woman, actually the eleventh, had won a Nobel Prize for writing. It seems to me that I will have to take back my statement that I made prior to reading this which stated, “ it is a perennial puzzle why no women wrote a word of extraordinary literature when every other man, it seemed, was capable of a strong song or sonnet.”(Woolf, page 41). I am quite pleased to find out that women are actually making progress in literature and being recognized for the genius that they have always possessed. If you would like to view this remarkable post it can be found on the Jezebel website (http://jezebel.com/gossip/feminism-101/-309664.php).

No comments: